Spirulina is a dark blue-green algae that contains the highest form of protein found anywhere in the world. It has 60-70% complete protein, meaning it has all eight essential amino acids and 10 non-essential ones that support optimal health and vitality. This amazing superfood is highly digestible, protects the immune system, fights the aging process, curbs appetite, promotes weight loss, supports cardiovascular health, makes the body produce more red and white blood cells which kills germs and viruses, and reduces allergic reactions. I suggest adding a tablespoon to a smoothie, a fresh juice, or add to a drink at night. Just one ounce contains 16 grams of protein!
My favorite brand is Hawaiian Pacifica and can be found on Vitacost.com by clicking here!
Attention Beginner Spirulina Users: I highly recommend blending it into your smoothies or baking with it in the recipe below initially. Let's just say, the smell can scare some people away. Trust me, it tastes MUCH better than it smells! Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25-30 minutes| Makes: 16 muffins | Difficulty: Easy
• 2 cups Organic Steel Cut Oats
• 1 tablespoon Spirulina Powder
• 1 tablespoon Maca Powder
• 2 cups Non-Dairy Milk of Choice
• 1 cup Light Coconut Milk
• 1 cup Organic Blueberries (Fresh or frozen)
• 1 Ripe Banana
• 1 Scoop of Plant-Based Protein Powder of your choice (I recommend Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Vanilla or Nutiva Hemp)
• 1 tablespoon of Coconut Palm Sugar
• ¼ cup of Unsweetened Coconut
• 1 tablespoon of Raw Hemp Seeds
•1 tablespoon of Ground Flax Meal
• 1 tablespoon of Ginger (fresh or ground)
• 1 tablespoon of Cinnamon
• Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
• Spoon into muffin tin sprayed with coconut oil.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (moist) or 25-30 (well-done).
• Serve it with organic maple syrup, raw honey, coconut nectar (my favorite!) or natural sweetener of choice!